Monday, November 10, 2014

Challenges of bike commuting

Bike commuting to work is not just a challenge...but at times a struggle too.

With bicycle commuting there a lot of concerns and things to consider, particularly with bike to work.
  1. You will be sweaty and smelly once you arrive in the office.
  2. You have to get up early and ride early to avoid the scorching sun and busy rush hour traffic.
  3. Safety concerns when you are up against inconsiderate, unruly motorists.
  4. Safety concerns with inconsiderate and undisciplined pedestrians.
  5. The need to pack your change of clothes and carry them in your bag. Sometimes your clothes would want to be ironed again once you unpack it in the office.
  6. Exposure to the elements, fumes, dust, other particles and rain.
  7. Parking space. Yes, sometimes it is a challenge as there will be motorcycles taking your spot at the bicycle designated parking area at the office building parking. I really dislike motorcycles. Either they are plain ignorant and cannot understand parking rules or they just don't care and ignore it. Just the same attitude when they are on the road, complete disregard for traffic rules and lacks road courtesy.
  8. It is a struggle to wake up early.
  9. Sometimes, you'll feel tired in the office or when you are home later in the day.
  10. Vehicles thinking they are entitled and that they own the road. These motorists should be banned from the streets and their driver's license revoked.
  11. The proposed or rather new city ordinance for bike registration and biker's permit. -> whiskey tango foxtrot.
However, no matter what the challenges are, I always see to it that I go to work on bicycle at least once in a week. Why?
  1. Bike commuting helps to clear my mind for a busy day. 
  2. Keeps me alert and alive throughout my busy schedule. 
  3. Helps with my savings ;) 
  4. I am minimizing my carbon footprint and contributing positively to society by giving Mother Earth some slack and buying her some time to heal a little.
  5. Sometimes, no need for a change of clothes, I ride on my office attire. Sometimes. And it is FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment