Sunday, April 5, 2015

O Trek

It has been a while since I last went to Osmena's Peak. Been here at least thrice already and it was not about the place that I went back, it is because of trekking.

A few weekends ago I went there again, this time with my office mates. Among the group only three of us have been there, the rest are all first timers. It is no surprise, before we even reach halfway the group was already panting. 

A lot has changed since the last time I was here. First, you can now hire a motorcycle all the way to the foot of the peak. Where's the fun in it?
Second, you are required  to register before you can proceed to the peak. Did not remember this before, or maybe it was really a long time since I was here.
Thirdly, it is crowded. Really crowded. I remember a time when I was there wherein it was very peaceful and calm. Relaxing. Now, you can't even take a decent picture without someone in the background. Photobombers!

The place is packed with tourists, both local and foreign. Noticeably a lot of Koreans, they seemed to be all over Cebu now. Everywhere you go or turn, there they are. When we had our lunch just before we head home, there they are again at the table beside us, your friendly neighborhood Koreans.

As I was enjoying the trek uphill, I cannot say the same for my colleagues. I think their mindset would be just like the saying goes "charge to experience". But the experience is worthwhile, even for me. It is always a different experience every time.

The highlight of the trek? Picture taking. Lots and lots of pictures. Well, what else is there to do at the peak? After appreciating the scene, just take photos of the scene and with you in it. Everyone trying to shoot a really great photo of themselves. Even risking their safety just to be on top of a rock and make sure it is captured on cam. Queuing and waiting for their turn to stand or sit on the rock formation and have their photos on top of the world. Well maybe not, just the top of Cebu probably.

The sad part of this trek is seeing the trash left behind by other visitors. Empty plastic bottles, plastic wrappers are everywhere.

Major roads have now destroyed the trails leading to the peak. Ironic, the roads are built to cater to a growing number of tourist to the peak. And when there are lots of folks, trash is present. The good thing though, the locals care for their place and are mindful of the vandalism picking  up rubbish along the way. Kudos folks.
Would I be going back to the peak? Definitely! Did I enjoyed it this time? Of course, all the time and each time will be a different experience.

Going to Osmenas peak:
Take a bus from Cebu Southbus terminal going to the town of Dalaguete. Bus fare is 105 pesos. At the town you can hire a motorcycle to take you to the baranggay of Mantalungon. Fare is 50 pesos. From there you can replenish your supplies. Usually what I'm used to, trekking would start at this place. However as I mentioned you can hire the motorcycle all the way to the foot of the peak. The fare would be 100 pesos. But where's the fun in it? You'll miss the trekking part.





No comments:

Post a Comment