Friday, May 2, 2014

Bike to Work - Day 2

On my second time of biking to work, I feel a bit more confident braving the rowdy and unruly streets of Cebu. I said "unruly" because unfortunately, there are a lot of crazy drivers out there that have utter lack of regard for traffic rules. But, this is what makes biking to work more exciting and fun, and now, I look forward to commuting by bicycle more often.

Today though, I noticed, I was sweating more than during my first bike to work day. Maybe I was pedaling a lot faster today, and took me about 20 minutes for a 6 kilometer ride. It is great to know that you are not contributing to any irreversible damage to Mother Earth. Rather, you are helping save the environment with zero carbon footprint pedaling all the way to the office while burning fat!

Now, I don't really need to give more time to go to a workout or run a few kilometers, just hop on to my bike for my commute and I am keeping my self fit while saving on gas. However, I am not too sure yet if I can sustain this but I am looking forward to my next bike to work day. There are still a lot of reasons and issues that made me think I cannot sustain this activity.

1. Safety on the road
2. Rain
3. Fumes.

But other than that, it is worthwhile and fun. The best part of it is it will help me save money.
Read somewhere on the internet, "Car runs on money and make you fat, Bike runs on fat and saves you money" , funny but true.



As for me and my cycling friends, we would wish that someday bike commuting will be popular.
If the majority of the Cebuano population will buy in to the bike to work and bike commuting idea in general, Cebu and the world will be much a better place to live in. Let's strive for a sustainable and liveable Cebu! Keep pedaling!

1 comment: