Friday, March 28, 2014

love for Japanese


Recently, I just bought my third pair of Onitsuka Tiger sneakers. This time the Mexico 66 slip-on shoes.

I am a fan of this Japanese brand of shoes. It all started while watching Game of Death and learned that Bruce Lee was actually wearing a pair of Mexico 66. Bruce Lee himself was a fan of the shoes for its lightweight design. Since then I have always wanted to own my pair of Onitsuka Tiger.

 Was able to buy my first pair in Sydney, boy was I so excited when I saw that there are some outlet stores down under. The second pair was bought in Singapore by a friend. Have to ask a friend since there were no outlet shops that time in Cebu and the brand is kind of a rarity. Then my third pair in Cebu, finally they have an outlet store here in Cebu. This brand used to be so rare and hard to find that a friend of mine even has to buy online and have it couriered just to get his pair of yellow Mexico 66. Well at least I don't have to buy online and have it mailed to me, however, still need to wait for that Game of Death yellow Mexico 66 to be available here at the outlet store.

A few weeks ago, me and my girlfriend dined at this small sushi shop in Talamban. It is about a few meters away from the University of San Carlos.

I always love and enjoy eating Japanese food from tonkatsu, chicken teriyaki, sushi and sashimi, ramen and yakiniku to name a few. Ramen however has been claimed to be of Chinese origin, although there are also claims that it was invented in Japan. Maybe because ramen uses Chinese wheat noodles, that is why there are theories that it originated in China. It doesn't really matter, as for me ramen is Japanese cuisine. Yakiniku on the other hand is as popular in Korea as in Japan.

So we tried out this small Japanese restaurant, Sushi Boy. The place is small but cozy.
The place is decent and very clean. But the atmosphere of the restaurant does not feel Japanese.

They have a small parking space in front, and we were lucky to find a parking spot when we arrived.

The prices are affordable and not too expensive for a Japanese restaurant.

We ordered pork tonkatsu and gyoza and it was served within a few minutes. I was impressed as you do not have to wait that long for the food to be served. Almost feels like a fast-food restaurant.

Tonkatsu

Gyoza

The tonkatsu was just right. The meat is tender and properly seasoned. Tasted good with the soy sauce and the salad.

The gyoza however seems to feel a bit bland and different. I think their dumplings are prepared and then stored in the freezer. Whenever there are patrons ordering it, then that is the time they thaw and cook it. Or maybe the gyoza they are serving are just those ready to cook packs from the supermarkets. Ours seems that it was not properly thawed before cooking. The dumpling's wrapper felt a little bit thick, but otherwise is okay. Just to add, gyoza is of Chinese origin too.

Overall I was still satisfied with their food, and here's proof , =).


The place is clean and decent, the prices are affordable and actually cheap for a Japanese restaurant. Food is fairly good too. So if you are for a Japanese food, you may want to try this out. (There is though another popular and affordable Japanese restaurant in the city, Joed's Lutong Hapon, winks*.)




No comments:

Post a Comment